What, no one plays these?

madvitale
Whiteshield

What, no one plays these?

Postby madvitale » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Are Necrons so broken that no one is interested? Any solid rumors about changes, or are they just teasing us? I've heard for years that these need updating, moving to plastic , and a rules revamp, but , alas , nothing......
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

whytwolf
Lord General

Re: What, no one plays these?

Postby whytwolf » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Necrons were on track for a pretty big update, including the rumor that Immortals would get plastic models as well as some new units. The rumor had it that they would be out ;ater 3rd or early 4th quarter.

The newest rumor now is that they got bumped to next year in favor of a quicker update to Tau. The story behind this (as I hear on the interwebs) is that Necrons need a lot of work and GW wants to take their time. Take it with a pinch of your favorite seasoning.

I have a box full of Necrons that I had planned to field but may wait until the new Codex before I bust them out.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:19 pm

I have a NeKRORK army idea, actually have bits set aside and ideas on paper. I just happened to get inspiration for another project in the meantime, and I might as well wait for the codex around the corner to come out ;)
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

madvitale
Whiteshield

Postby madvitale » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Necrorks! :D ..... :D ....only you, Dez, would do that... Wot a riot!!! :mrgreen:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 am

Yeah, the rumor was actually that they were due before GK, but they were pushed back until summer, and then until right before Christmas, and now this time next year. Supposedly their background material and unit choices weren't up to snuff. With the rise in popularity of Dark Eldar, and the coming storm of Grey Knights, I think GW is realizing that these old armies have appeal, no one is buying the models because the books are either old or suck. So they are making sure that if they are going to update them, they will make them right. Some would argue that the DE book wasn't done right, most DE players are said to prefer the old codex. But it is selling a lot of models, and it was a step in the right direction.

Sadly, they probably need to redo Necrons, Eldar, Tau, and Chaos, in that order. But all the rumors point to Tau, Necrons, Eldar, Chaos.

~J

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:53 pm

I think that Tau, Eldar, and Chaos (besides the already discussed Legions books) could use just a costing update, some rules updating and done. They already have (compared to Necrons) a good variety of units to use, just seem a little over-costed compared to others.

I can see how delaying the Necron codex would benefit them in getting it right and having a more varied model range available to support the book.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

madvitale
Whiteshield

Postby madvitale » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:06 pm

I agree. The two reasons you don't see Eldar players table Wraithguard is, a) metal models at $15 apiece new, and b) 35 pts each. Personally, I have enough to field 10 that I acquired over the years, but for 350 plus the necessary warlock, you are close to 400 pts, and you can field 2 or 3 units for speed and shoot-y for that much , with some left over!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm getting pretty excited about this release. So many fun ideas running around in my head....
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:50 pm

whytwolf wrote:I think that Tau, Eldar, and Chaos (besides the already discussed Legions books) could use just a costing update, some rules updating and done. They already have (compared to Necrons) a good variety of units to use, just seem a little over-costed compared to others..

Chaos needs an overhaul in general. Half their units are terrible and practically unusuable. Let's face it, they'll never get that Legion book, just like Imperial never got Xenohunters.

Eldar could use that tweaking you speak of, especially in the Elites section. Why take anything else but Fire Dragons?

Tau...give them the option to take Crisis Suits as Troops and you'd make a lot of fans happy. Which means they probably won't do it.

J Rzasa wrote:most DE players are said to prefer the old codex.

I've literally never heard that. The majority seem to LIKE the new book, even if it makes some of their lists defunct (but that's the nature of the beast).
Bring me your finest coffee!

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Slimnoid wrote:
J Rzasa wrote:most DE players are said to prefer the old codex.

I've literally never heard that. The majority seem to LIKE the new book, even if it makes some of their lists defunct (but that's the nature of the beast).

I feel that way. Stuff is more expensive, fewer heavy weapons are 2 of my major concerns. I was super excited about the book, until it came out. I havent played a game since. Maybe once grotesques come out, Ill be persuaded to give them another shot.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Return to “Necrons”