A go through of the Orc and Goblin Codex

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

A go through of the Orc and Goblin Codex

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Ok guys, I've gotten some time to compare this book to the other one, and I'm pretty happy. Just about everything got cheaper, depending on load out. Ignoring a serious lack of Magic Items, and my disappointment with Orc Magic (Goblin Magic is amazing), I'm very happy with the way this codex came out. Let me break it down.

Lords and Heroes (Ignoring Special Characters)

Everything except the Savage Orc Warboss is now cheaper or the same. All the Gobbo Warbosses and Big Bosses are the exact same, the Gobbo Mages are cheaper by 10 pts. All the Orc Warbosses, except Savage, are 10-15 pts cheaper, and the big bosses are 5-10. Savage Orc Big Bosses are the same, the Savage Orc Warboss is 25 more points. I don't see the reason he is 35 pts more than a regular Orc Warboss. Maybe someone can let me know.

Core

Depending on load out, everything is cheaper.

Orc Boyz: Now 6 pts base instead of 5, but 2 hand weapons are now a 1 pt upgrade. Your Big Un's are now 2 pts cheaper. The musician is 5 pts more expensive, but the boss is 5 pts less expensive. I expect this will happen with every book. So the basic Spear Orc is a pt more expensive, every other load out is either the same or cheaper.

Arrer Boyz: Only thing that went up in price. 1 pt each. Not bad, not great.

Savage Orcs: Are the same base price, but only pay 1 pt for 2 hand weapons, and 2 pts instead of 4 for Big Un's. Much cheaper than they were.

Goblins: Still 3 pts a model, same stats, but their upgrades are half as expensive, at half a point. The Skulkers will make this unit deadly.

Goblin Wolf Riders: 2 pts cheaper. Boss went down 14 pts, musician went up 4, standard went down 2.

Night Goblins: Boss went down a point, standard went up 2, musician went up 6. Fanatics are the same, Netters went up 10. The only reason this unit is now cheaper is that they can take spears for free, which will decrease the cost of my units by 22 pts on average.

Spider Riders: Are the same, baring the usual adjustment to boss, standard and musician. Those 3 are 10 pts in all goblin units, and 10 pts in most other units.

Special

Boar Chariot: Went down 5 pts, can now have an extra crew member for 5 pts.

Black Orcs: Went down a pt. The boss went down 18 pts. Thats 6 goblins. The banner went down 2, the musician went up 4. Are now Immune to Psychology.

Boar Boyz: These models, depending on loadout, either got a lot cheaper or a little cheaper. They went down 6 pts per model, but now must pay 2 for a shield or spear they used to come with. Big Uns are now 4 pts instead of 8. The boss is 24 pts cheaper, but the musician is 4 more expensive, the banner now 2 less. One internesting note: Choppas now apply to all Orcs, regardless if they are mounted.

Savage Orc Boar Boyz: Went down 3 pts, and have the option of taking 2 hand weapons while mounted. IF they do they lose 1 WS. Same options and other price reductions as above.

Goblin Wolf Chariot: Now 10 pts cheaper, can be taken in units of 1-3, and can have extra wolves/goblins. for +5 each. Max of one goblin and wolf.

Spear Chukka: Same price, can take 6 per army, 12 in a grand, and one a 1 it misfires like stone thrower.

Squig Hoppers: Down 3 pts a model.

Squig Herd: Same points, only need 1 handler per 3 squigs, can have as many of each other than that. 8 pts per squig, 3 per goblin.

Snotlings: Now Special, they added shooting attacks to them, and stand and shoot, they are 10 pts more expensive, and a little odd.

Trolls: Now special, they are 5 pts cheaper in their basic form.

Rare

Goblin Rock Lobber: Now Rare and 15 pts more expensive. May add an additional crew member for 10 pts.

Doom Diver: Same price, got a funky misfire table that isn't all bad.

Snotling Pump Wagon: Not all that useful, but not useless either. Lots of impact hits, which for 15 pts are S5, and another 15 ignore Armor on the first one. Really ridiculous, it is 5 pts more expensive before options

Stone and River Trolls: 15 pts cheaper, still rare. Still stupid.

Giant: 5 pts cheaper, may take Warpaint for 20 pts if there is a Savage Orc Shaman in the army. Nothing changed.

I didn't go into new units, and there are the Manger Squigs. But this is a breakdown of points. Lots of stuff got cheaper, lots of it stayed the same. Only a few things got more expensive, though they almost all got more useful.

~J

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: A go through of the Orc and Goblin Codex

Postby Dez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:01 pm

I do like the book overall, and I actually like the Signature Spells. Foot of Gork too, off the top of my head.

There are lots of units that seem like they will be fun, Mangler Squigs and Snotling Pump Wagons especially imo. Not effective per se, but fun. Wolf Riders is another unit I'm looking forward to.

I also want to see whats going to be in the new battalion!
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:46 pm

For the first time maybe ever I'm thinking about Wolf Riders. Units of 10 are 100 pts, 110 with Spears. Give em shields, and they are 120 pts, with a 4+ save.

10 Boar Boyz with HW/S is 180 pts. That's a 3+ save. Not bad.

I do want some Gobbo Chariots. A unit of 3 will give 3D6 Impact Hits, plus whatever the gobbos manage.

~J

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:01 pm

That's why I'm thinking it might be fun to get lot's of Chariots and Fast Cav. Surround and pounce! I'm also thinking that multiple Orc Shamans with the Signature Spell circling armies on Wolves would be very, very fun.

Also, if you stick a regular Gobbo shaman onto a wolf and into the unit, he can give them Armor piercing which will be nice with Spears/Bows.

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Slanted
Whiteshield

Postby Slanted » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Well, you won't have to wait any longer dez.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... GameStyle=

Best part is, its free!
In the Soviet Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance- Joseph Stalin

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Ya know I looked at that so fast I didn't realize it WAS the new one! Less boys, Goblins instead of Night Goblins, and swapped the Chariot for Boar Boys.

ADB

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Worst battle force ever.

Boyz, Goblins, Spiders and Boar Boyz? Are you crapping me?

~J

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:14 pm

Doing some reading through the book, completely missed an Animosity Change:

3-5 Squabble: If the squabbling unit is in range, it must declare a charge, otherwise it sits there and can do nothing.

So no more charges broken up by animosity. Only the first result, 1-2 is an issue.

~J

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Yeah the Animosity Chart got much better.

ADB

Return to “Orcs and Goblins”