New Project

New Project

Postby Collin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Hey guys, with the completion of most of my chaos factions I think vampire counts may be my next project. I want to go with the theme of blood dragons the followers of Abhorash. I want to field a fast moving hard hitting army that plays different then most other VC armies. I know some of you guy have experience with VC and I was just curious if this is viable. In particular I am looking at black knights, blood knights, close combat vampires and the zombie dragon. Anyone have experience or good tactics for using these types of units?

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Re: New Project

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:46 pm

I really like black knights, but I have been underwhelmed by blood knights when Ive had people field them against me. 1 wound models for that many points seems fragile. I think the army could work pretty well. Throw in some wolves for extra support, and I think it could work very well.
In 8th where outnumbering with fear is less of an issue than it was in 7th, unless you are looking to bog things down for the game, fast moving hard hitting units would seem pretty fun. I dont know how much different you would find this idea than some of your chaos builds though.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Postby thade » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:23 pm

This army would LOOK awesome. Based on that alone I say you do it. <3
Thade = Steve

While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, I have some faces that I need to crack open. @_@

Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:39 pm

I'd take a big ol' unit of six Blood Knights with the Royal Standard of Strigos and a BSB with the Regen banner. So they have a 2+/4+ with Hatred, and against a unit with a 125mm frontage, you're looking at 21 S7 attacks with Hatred, and six S4 attacks (not sure if they would benefit from the Hatred or not). A shot from Dwellers Below would take out one, and Purple Sun or Pit of Shades would only take out two. Sure, they're a lot of points for one wound, but they're not easy to kill and you can bring them back.

Outside of that, I'd recommend decent-sized blocks of Black Knights. Since they only have one attack apiece, ranking them up doesn't lose you much (except a S3 steed attack). Okay, bear with me -- it's 789 points, but a unit of thirty Black Knights with the Banner of the Barrows would be AMAZING! Well, not that amazing, but still fun as Hell.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Postby MadMike » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Actually, I faced a thirty+ black knight vc list with the regen banner, tooled up characters with the dreadlance, etc. at TempleCon last year. I would not describe it as fun. ;) Its a totally mindless game and I forfeited to my opponent on turn 2 rather than even play it out. One of the hazards of a no comp environment. It was a poorly run tournament (terrible terrain, no seeding, no/little prize support, no scores posted, etc.) as well and it was my last game so it was kind of a punctuation point on a poor event. I don't recommend that build. :)

I'm looking forward to new leadership for the TempleCon event this year! :)
Must paint more models... Must paint more... Must...

Postby Collin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:55 pm

I do plan to use multiple cav units but I don't want to put to many points in any one unit. I do love black knights but 30 of them with characters and all the toys is a bit extreme.

Postby Galaan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:22 pm

bricks of 14 would probably be your best bet, anything less and they don't hit hard enough.

blood knights are actually the best cavalry in the game as you can bring them up from the dead... and not just invocation. You've seen me use the blood drinker in games, it works wonderfully in keeping a steady flow of wounds coming back into the unit, it becomes very VERY hard to displace them.

your lord should go in with them, however he should have the dreadlance. auto hits at ST7 make the most of red fury, and you can take advantage of the extra 25 points left over which normally would have gone to infinite hatred (beguile comes to mind).. also i would recommend giving him night-shroud, it'll bring him up to 3+ armor but anything directing against him loses ASF and goes to I1. throw in the book that drops an opponent to WS1 for 1 combat and you have the ability to win ANY challenge he gets put into.

you can then just give a normal vampire blood drinker/infinite hatred/dread knight and stick him in that unit as well, assuring that the blood knights stay healed up and at full strength.

this frees up your Regen banner to go into a unit of black knights on a wight king, and then give that unit strigos banner for the +1 to hit, it will hit like a freight train and won't go anywhere.

You will need to keep vampires close, like the coach and Vargulf, to keep the cavalry marching, you can also give one unit the banner of hellish vigor. and of course you'll need to find out what to do with those footsloggers your forced to take =/

Postby Collin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks Josh, I think I got a lot of good stuff out of that. I am however a bit leery about the regen banner it's 125 pts! I am thinking I may just put my bsb in a big unit of black knights with the banner of blood keep and save the 50 points I would have spent. I think blood drinker, dread lance and red fury will be perfect for this type of army.

The big question now is core, I was thinking 3 big units 20-30 strong maybe a unit of skeletons with spears and the other two units will be ghouls. I like ghouls because of the poison, toughness and higher leadership but skeletons with spears would give me another ranks worth of attacks and can take full command. Either way this should make for a nice tar pit in the middle of the table while my characters and elite cav ride up the flanks destroying all in their path.

Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:45 am

Collin I don't have much input on VC, but you may want to check out Mantics Undead line. I really like them, and they're super cheap!
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:53 am

Collin, remember that Ghouls have 2 attacks apiece, so are pretty much as good as Skellies with spears.

Return to “Vampire Counts”