Who is playing X-Wing?

For any systems without their own place
Dez
Storm Trooper

Who is playing X-Wing?

Post by Dez » Tue May 21, 2013 1:00 pm

I just wanted to see who was playing, and what your thoughts are. I like what I see in the videos so far.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder
I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Re: Who is playing X-Wing?

Post by Kinne » Tue May 21, 2013 1:59 pm

I've only played twice, but it's fun. Straightforward and easy-to-learn. Also, Slave One.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Kharn
Hardened Vet

Post by Kharn » Tue May 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Most people at off the wall
Do you see what's going on, it's change. The longer the changes improve.

hordeling
Whiteshield

Post by hordeling » Tue May 21, 2013 10:12 pm

there are a good 6 or seven people playing regularly. excelent game, strategic yet unpredictable. turn 2 gives very little indication as to whats going to be happening turn 4. bluffing and misdirection are almost as important in the maneuvering process as the moves themselves. only issue is balance and variety at the moment. rebels without a millenium falcon are a bit shy of matching up with the empire.

the rebels have more elite boats and the empire have cheap expendable doods so it's a simple matter of math. the very low number of dice per shot and extreme low probability of big hits means empire lists will come up with more consistant results while the rebels have to pull off something clever or cool. theme wise this is great, the plucky rebels using their best men and clever tactics to outwit the militarized empire, but when you only have two teams, a minor shift in balance can be touchy. The simple solution of 'just put the falcon in' may get old, but i imagine there are other options in the works

all in all, it's cheap, easy to learn, and supports a pretty relaxed yet cerebral atmosphere since you can't always get invested in your game plan. you always have to be thinking, and there are a lot of moments when your brain goes "i'm going to try this and hope it works". It either does work or doesn't, but rarely are the consequences so drastic that you won't take risks next time. definitely worth picking up.
Why hasn't anyone invented good rocket skates yet?

Dez
Storm Trooper

Post by Dez » Wed May 22, 2013 9:58 am

Very nice, thanks for taking the time with such a thorough reply Josh!

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Kowal
Veteran

Post by Kowal » Wed May 22, 2013 11:17 pm

I agree almost 100% with Josh. It's easily the most fun I've had in minis gaming outside of Blood Bowl, and if you asked me which game is better it would take me some time to decide. For what it's worth, I gave Collin a demo today, and besides myself and Josh, we also get Brett, his brother Jason, Victor, and Jen involved when possible. I believe Brian also picked up a bunch of stuff to play it after Brett ran him a demo. It's very fun, it's very chaotic, and the rules are that sweet spot where they're too simple to rules-lawyer but encourage a lot of difficult mental decisions.

The only discrepancy with his summary I've got is that the rebel list playing a bunch of y-wings with proton torpedoes is also sexy as hell. I want to play this list every waking hour because it warms my man parts.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Post by Dez » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Finally got a couple of games in last night, I like it. I love all the ship synergy, especially when playing as Empire. I played 2 100 point games, won my first one and BARELY (seriously, we played out the next turn) lost the second.

I took:

Bounty Hunter
Howlrunner w/Swarm Tactics
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot
Interceptor (minimum pilot)

My opponent:
X-Wing Rookie w/R2
Y Wing Rookie (or whatever)
Chewie in the MF

Swarm Tactics with Howly is just awesome as my opponent learned very quickly. I was having a bit of trouble maneuvering (lots of pile ups, haha) which caused me to lose actions on her (no evade is bad) especially as I was trying to keep as many of my ships as possible in formation. Shields were just peeling off.

In my second game, I changed my strategy up a bit (ran up the left flank with an Interceptor going wide and Firespray heading them off at the pass). We also through a bunch of Asteroids down because we weren't crashing enough :) This, even though I lost, worked out pretty nicely. I was fast enough to keep out of most of his firing arcs (except the MF) which was cool as I was opening up with Tie's at Range 1, 2 of them being Pilot Skill 8 and multiples having rerolls.

I really enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to more games and getting the movement down so I don't crash haha.

ADB

Kowal
Veteran

Post by Kowal » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:49 am

Very nice! Josh and I played a pretty killer game on Wednesday (125 points) where I had Chewie in the Falcon, Horton Salm, and two chodes (y-wing and a-wing) vs Backstabber, Night Beast, and two Firesprays (Boba Fett and Kath Scarlet). The whole game was pretty intense (only an a-wing chump monkey survived!) but it was strongly decided by early game maneuvering around the asteroids. I really can't recommend the asteroids enough to people - they add a dimension to the game that makes it significantly more fun while adding a bit heavier of a lean to the strategy of the game than the randomness of the dice.

One thing I took note of during the game I'm excited to test out is how crazy good Ion Cannons are at making the Falcon look stupid. Playing it correctly usually means flying around the perimeter of the area, which combined with the humongous base size of that thing makes it pretty susceptible to getting Ion-drifted right off the board.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Singha
Recruit

Post by Singha » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Hello All
Quick introduction, I was around about two years ago trying to get into Warhammer 40K but the amount of work and time I need to put into the minis was something i could not spare.

With that said i was gifted an X-Wing mini starter set but have no one to play with or teach me how to play

Has a night been established to play (Tuesdays and Wednesday are a no go).

If not anyone interested in establishing one or getting together?

Kowal
Veteran

Post by Kowal » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:06 am

Well we all meet on Wednesday, so that's generally the best time to find people for a game. Sounds like that won't jive with you though, so the best thing I'd suggest is to make a post in the Throwing Down the Gauntlet forum to set something up.

Return to “Other Systems”