A "what we have left" tourney and/or campaign

Have an idea for an event? Post it here and get some feedback.
Grandmaster marc
Hardened Vet

A "what we have left" tourney and/or campaign

Postby Grandmaster marc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 am

I have and idea for a campaign or tourney, You start off with 3000 pts or a litttle less. If its a tourney: first round you play an objectives scenario and then what ever you don't lose in that round you use in the next. Now if your low in points you can team up with another player this can go up to grops of 2 or more depends on what you lose. Next round would be a kill points game and the round after that would be another objectives or vice versa. This is a good idea but it would get pretty confusing and uneven in a tourney. But for a campaign it would be cool to see use pretty much the same format but in staed of rounds with certain scenarios the players select what they want to do.

and for losses if you lose part of a unit you can still play with the part you didn't lose. fleeing units become regrouped and can be used in the next round or phase, and units that fled off the table are counted as cowards and are not welcome back so they are gone from the next round or phase.

Is that clear enough?
What do you think?
"To take a town, send a legionary. To take a city, send a squad. To take a world, send a company. To take a culture, send a Chapter."

-Popular Ultramarines Aphorism

Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: A "what we have left" tourney and/or campaign

Postby Dez » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:29 am

I think I want to play you with my bike list first round and see how you like playing a tournament/campaign with no army :)
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Lakomasoi
Veteran

Postby Lakomasoi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:48 am

A tournament like this would benefit much more if you rolled off to see if you keep your losses per unit. It would be difficult to follow and laborious between rounds book keeping. Its something i think would do much better if spread over a few weeks. with a GM keeping track of everyone's army.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:44 am

I think you would find that you end up with terribly uneven games after the first round. If I massacred my opponent game 1, I could be facing people who only have a few guys in rounds 2&3. It sounds like a neat concept and would probably work better for a campaign, by allowing people to get reinforcements through various means, or create scenarios that are not designed to be even.
Sounds like it could be fun to experiment with though.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Grandmaster marc
Hardened Vet

Postby Grandmaster marc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:00 pm

Dez: I hate you
Fitzy: rolling off would actually be better never thought of that
Kevin: thats why people would end up teaming up it like epic last stand elimination type stuff
"To take a town, send a legionary. To take a city, send a squad. To take a world, send a company. To take a culture, send a Chapter."

-Popular Ultramarines Aphorism

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:20 pm

What Kevin said was the point I was making, Marc ;)

For a campaign it sounds like it may be pretty cool. Have a pool of resources that you can draw from, and once it's gone so are your reserves. Win games/ground to gain access to more reserves. In fact, you could set it up Dawn of War style. Or just use an existing map campaign as a basis.

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Cygnus
Whiteshield

Postby Cygnus » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Well, I agree with dez. When I play a game about someone it's not just about winning, it's about destroying any and all resistance they put up. So for the first game with me in it, it would probably end up where either my opponent or I would have nothing to use in the next game depending on how good my dice rolls were. I think it would be a little easier to do if instead of 3000 points (which I don't think many people have in just 1 army) you could do like 1750, and maybe you could buy units or something based on, idk, conquest points (you get a certain amount of points for each area of the map you take)
Would probably work better as a campaign then a tourney though.
Platinum Templars
Win(26) Loss(5) Draw(1)

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 pm

I've labored over a decent campaign system that reflects losses in games for years, and I still haven't quite hit anything I've liked. As Dez and Kevin have said, a tournament might be too difficult, as even if you did have some manner of reinforcements, you would have to have long periods of time between rounds, which would make for a very long day. A campaign would likely be your best bet. I can tell you from experience that it will be difficult managing a balanced system of casualties and reinforcements.

The idea I've been playing with the most (and this applies to 40k and Fantasy) is to roll for each model removed as a casualty. On a 5+ they survive (they were knocked out, retreated from battle but returned, saved by a medic, etc.). There would be modifiers for this, mainly centering around whether you won or lost the battle. For units of multi-wound models, you roll a D6 for each wound the unit lost, but you can only bring back complete models (your nobz squad lost three models for a total of six wounds, and you make three saves -- you bring back one model as opposed to one-and-a-half). Monstrous Creatures and Characters are treated differently. You roll a D6 for each wound lost (this is only if they're removed as a casualty), and a single success means they come back to life, but they sustain lasting injuries.

I've been toying with a reinforcements system, and have a decent one for fantasy, but 40k may be a little trickier. I can give you a bit more detail if you're interested -- I probably won't get around to finishing/running a campaign like this for a while. At least not this year.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 pm

For a campaign run using reinforcements, you need to do 1 of 2 things. 1 Keep it simple so there is little record keeping and people can miss a week without much negative impact. or 2, you need a dedicated group that treat it like a role playing group. People meet on a weekly basis, and games are played at that time. With reinforcements and such, it would work best to do some sort of a linear story based campaign which would prevent 1 person from being all powerful and everyone else quit.
So if I was masacred one week, my next game could be a very small (kill team) almost that need to secure a beacon so reinforcements can be sent. If they succeed they get reinforcements, otherwise they will lose that kill team, and things become even more desperate.
Something along this line would give you a large number of points 5000 or such, and you commit what you would like to for the battle. If you commit it all and lose, you are out of the campaign.
If you would like to work on something, I would gladly brainstorm some ideas.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:00 pm

I like that idea Kevin, especially using the Kill Team and having a mission in order to gain more reserves. It was kinda the wave length I was on, but I can be terrible at putting ideas into the form of words.

Here is something to think about: Why not do the opposite? Start off with a Kill Team, and have them gaining you reserves? Your Kill Team Omega breaks into enemy territory and places a landing beacon. You can now access an elite unit. Kill Team Alpha secures the Manufactorum, gaining access to heavy tank production. Meanwhile Kill Team Gamma has secured the fuel refinery, and you can access Fast Attack.

ADB

Return to “Event Suggestions”