J Rzasa's 2014 Tale of Many Gamers Log

This years Tale of Many Gamers Forum
Dez
Storm Trooper

Re: J Rzasa's 2014 Tale of Many Gamers Log

Postby Dez » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:57 am

Looking good, I particularly like the building.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Like Kevin my March was sad. I did finish the piglets and the War Pig early. Then I put some paint on my 4 Bayou Gremlins, my Ofelia, and a Hog Whisperer. But I didn't get nearly enough done.

Fast Forward to April. My plans are still to finish the Gremlins, and finish that building. After that I'm a bit at a loss. I might take a break and do some Reaper Mini's for D&D. I really should finish my Cold One Riders for Fantasy. That may be May's goal ahead of the Warhammer Tourny.

For Terrain, I want to finish that building, and I have about 4-5 other projects I'm considering:

- Go another 1-2 Western themed buildings. This would complete a 3x3 table that would be western themed. Instead of 2 buildings, I could do 1 and some Canyons, which may be much much faster to construct.

- A Ziggurate. You can find it here: http://www.genetmodels.com/ebbles-minia ... 08-models/ - In fact, there is a lot of terrain on that page I'm contemplating. The hab units, the Farmstead, the Field Camp or the landing pad.

- Some Dungeon tiles for D&D. Not necessarily important here, though if I use the Lost Halls of Dwarven Kings we could use it as a Dwarf version of Movie Marines. Probably a Skirmish level Orcs and Goblins vs Dwarfs skirmish game.

- a 3x3 Space area for Star Wars/other space games. I have a printable mat that is both hex based and not hex based that I could double side a hard board.

- a 3x3 Malifaux Canals Board. This I'm going to need some input from you guys on as this would be a pretty in depth build, and I don't want to waste my time. Here is the layout I'm thinking:

Let me explain this a little bit. I think which part of the map is canal is pretty obvious. The brown parts would be buildings. The part on the far right will actually be a raised structure that will lead into the adjacent second floor of the right most building. The two adjacent street tiles that are on the top and bottom of the map will be ramps that lead up to that canal wall. Both buildings would probably be 2 enter-able floors, plus a roof floor. Possibly the two buildings will be connected by a walk way.

I haven't decided on what I want to use for the buildings yet, but if anyone wants to see my options I can post them. My biggest concern here is that there is not enough terrain to hide behind. You're basically pidgeon holed into entering the water, using the walk way on the far left, the raised dike on the far right, and the two buildings.

Looking it over now, I'm also not sure if I should include more bridges leading to the buildings. My original though was the building on the right would only be accessible from the walk way from the left most building, or from the dike. But that doesn't make much sense, as there would be almost no reason to have a bottom floor. I could put arches under the building on the right so it looks like it is raised up, and simply put water underneath it, that would look really cool.

Let me know what you guys think. I don't want to embark on this if it looks like it won't work, WAY too much work to put into it to have a useless table, even if it looks cool.

~J

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:45 pm

Looks cool.

Could you save some work by putting some buildings on it that you already have? And just printing a new board?
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 am

Yes, I could use the walls and posts from the building I'm working on now. However, the board itself is 75% of the work. Especially in 2 levels like that. So I'm not really saving much time. That being said, I don't think the build will be particularly hard. I just need to make sure the board is playable, and not a giant death trap without anything to hide behind.

~J

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:49 am

I love the layout of that canal board. Would it be possible to make some sort of raised bridge between the two buildings on the second floor? That would give an extra way to cross but also more diversity to where the models can go.

Looks like a lot of big terrain projects in your future.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:48 pm

So... April sucked.

To answer Kevin's question on the forum, yes, there will be a raised bridge between the two. I didn't include that in the layout. I also made a couple of decisions to change around the building on the right, I want to do open water with a dock like wall keeping up the top layer of the building.

However, my printer died like 2 weeks ago, and I've been messing with it trying to get it back up and running. It's my fault, I mixed the wrong types of inks and then the ink well filled, so I'm waiting for a replacement.

I did manage to get one piece of Sci Fi terrain done, I'll post pictures of that soon. Sometime this weekend.

I managed to get a good amount of paint on my Gremlins, but don't have anything finished. I'm actually going to put them on the shelf for a bit, the Fantasy Tourny is in May and I am currently waffling between Lizardmen and Orks and Goblins. I'm not sure which one I'm going to lean on. Either way, I have 10 Cold One Riders on my painting table, which I'm hoping will be relatively simple, and a couple Night Gobbo characters. After that it'll be all Orc Boyz, which I have 60 of.

Obviously I won't get this all done in the next two weeks, but it'll be exciting to find out what I can get done.

~J

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Mon May 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Ok, so here are some pictures. First up, April's Completion: The Podtel:

I like this model. It took awhile, not gonna lie. I wasn't originally going to build this until my printer crapped out and I had nothing to work on. I've taken to gluing stuff together while listening to the GM talk in Role playing games, and while my party around me does their best to get me killed. Somehow all my games have me playing a Support character at the moment. Anyway, I already had this thing printed, and never fed it through the cutter and glued it together, which is what I did in April.

This is the Ziggurate that I mentioned in March's post. It comes with 4 standing obelisks which I didn't build because I don't think they are big enough to be considered real terrain. Great for skirmish games though, so I may build a few when I am caught without anything else to work on. I would love some feedback on this piece. It was really easy to build, though I messed up a couple spots (nothing serious). I could easily build a couple more for the store.

This is what I worked on this past weekend while playing my support character in a Star Wars game Josh is running (Just need some money to take him out of support, combat in that game is mainly about Equipment). I started this a year ago before beginning work on the Space Hulk table, and stopped to build that. Now I'm back at it.

Why you ask? I was able to locate a copy of Warhammer Historicals Legend of the High Seas. It has full rules for 28mm Ship combat. On top of this, it also has full rules for buildings crews (1 per boat usually), and running a Mordheim Style campaign. The three wabrands are Pirates, Royal Navy, and Privateers (Legal Pirates, for those that don't know). Do I plan on running a campaign? Not unless there is significant interest. It's easy/cheap enough to get models for a game like this, and they don't need to be GW. But this isn't really something you can proxy with any model. They'd have to be appropriate, though I have a wide definition of that. (Want to use your undead army to make an undead pirate crew? I'm ok with that).

But I do have an interest of getting about 6 ships put together, pushing a couple tables together, and doing a pirate mega battle. I hear the rules are fantastic, though I have yet to finish reading them. Doesn't make sense until I'm done with at least 2 boats to test them.

~J

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon May 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Sweet looking ship. Can't wait to see the completed product.

How tall is that podtel?
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 pm

It's 11 inches tall, and 9 inches wide.

I can make it as tall as I want, it comes with extensions to add more rings, but that is the standard height.

I may make 1-2 more of these for the store.

~J

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:04 pm

May was an odd month. I got all 10 of my Cold One Riders cut out and mostly assembled. I left off the arms and shields as I find it easier to paint if I can reach all areas of the model. These I'm going to work on very slowly, and if I complete any in June it won't be many. Certainly not the whole unit. I never touched the Goblins.

The one thing I did accomplish this past month was finish the carstock Ship, which I'll refer to as "The Maiden" from here on out as that what the kit is called. I have another one printed up and ready to go, so I plan on working on that this month.

Beyond the ship, I have no idea what I'm going to work on on my painting table. The candidates are as follows:

- Reaper Bones Miniatures. I have a ton of these I want to paint, I'd like to start working on a few.

- Gremlins for Malifaux. With the new box coming out, and the event this weekend, I expect there to be a whole ton of motivation to get some paint on minis. I'm actually really close to having my 50SS warband painted, and will probably be working on them late this week.

- Warhammer Fantasy. Cold Ones, Orcs and Goblins. I have so much to paint at this point, I could slap paint on anything and be considered making progress. I have a ton of stuff in boxes around my painting station, we'll see what happens

- Astra Militarum. This would most likely be things I need for the Kill Teams league. I haven't made up the list yet, but I expect a couple models to either need finishing or need painting.

- Blood Bowl. I have The Karak Eight Peak Packers coming in the mail, I will most likely work on these once I get them as we lead into the Farm League. No idea if I'm going to play these in the legacy league, but it'll be fun to paint them.

~J

Return to “ToMG 2014”