Flames of War 3rd edition (V-3) coming soon!!

A 15mm game that lets you refight the battles of World War II and Vietnam
TRDG
Recruit

Re: Flames of War 3rd edition (V-3) coming soon!!

Postby TRDG » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:09 pm

Hey JR not to sure about them seeing mostly the same, try a strel Company compared to an FJ one or even a straingt US Rifle company, big differences, armour and mixed companies even more so I'd say!!

Cheers, FoW has such variety that is why I like it, to many to list here, and lets not forget the ratings of each company. There is a big dif between a Reluctant trained Comapny and a Fearless Veteran one, let alone all the terrain variables in each and every game.

It may seem simple but once you really dig into it, not so much and thats a good thing!!

Tom

Oh, and the V-3 hardbound is sold out, won't be any until May when the second printing is done, don't have mine, either one yet........ my bad!! LOL Waited to long

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:00 pm

TRDG wrote:Hey JR not to sure about them seeing mostly the same, try a strel Company compared to an FJ one or even a straingt US Rifle company, big differences, armour and mixed companies even more so I'd say!!

Cheers, FoW has such variety that is why I like it, to many to list here, and lets not forget the ratings of each company. There is a big dif between a Reluctant trained Comapny and a Fearless Veteran one, let alone all the terrain variables in each and every game.

It may seem simple but once you really dig into it, not so much and thats a good thing!

While in the scope of the game, there may be a big difference, it is not the same kind of difference between, say, a Guardian and a Terminator. Not even close. Flames of War units are much much closer to each other. Which makes the game tighter.

~J

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 am

J Rzasa wrote:
TRDG wrote:Hey JR not to sure about them seeing mostly the same, try a strel Company compared to an FJ one or even a straingt US Rifle company, big differences, armour and mixed companies even more so I'd say!!

It may seem simple but once you really dig into it, not so much and thats a good thing!

While in the scope of the game, there may be a big difference, it is not the same kind of difference between, say, a Guardian and a Terminator. Not even close. Flames of War units are much much closer to each other. Which makes the game tighter.

~J

With FoW the skills/training differences between Strel and FJ are balanced by the price costing and difference in some rules; like I believe the platoons are large enough that it takes 10 hits to pin the Strel, while only 5 to pin the FJ.

Battlefront has done a great job of limiting the power creep (unlike GW) with unit costing that is appropriate, plus relevant special rules that reflect the specific strengths of each nationality or unit type.

Yes, facing a Panther in mid-war with only 75mm armed Shermans can be tough, but Panthers are expensive and TD's aren't, which give a good chance, if played right, of getting on side armor. Just an example of how well I see BF has balanced out the game.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

Tex
Whiteshield

Postby Tex » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:57 am

I have maintained that FOW is one of the most tactically challenging games going. The rules are straight forward and, as stated earlier, there isn't a lot of power creep or over-powered units. Yes, some units can be a tough nut to crack. If you are American and you are facing Panthers, you cannot just pull a 40k style tank charge as your Shermans will be cut to ribbons (my students a few years back tried to Sherman charge an 88 battery with two platoons of Shermans - yes, they had the extra crew and supporting fire from a Tiger I. In two turns, one platoon was literally wiped out and the second platoon lost 3, 1 bailed, and failed its motivation test. The look on the faces of the American players was priceless). So to get the Panthers, use real world tactics. Use smoke from your 105's to cover your units getting flank shots. Use your 105's with a TOT barrage to knock them out. Call in an airstrike. Also, unless it has been changed for 3rd edition, turn limits are generous to non-existent. This allowed players to use subtlety in their tactics rather than having, by the necessity of the turn limits, to just charge in with little to no thought process. I like flames so much that if 6th Ed 40k isn't all that I hoped for, I will probably sell my 40k armies and concentrate on FOW exclusively.
Badges?! We don't need no stinkin' Badges!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 am

I'm with you there, Tom. My desire to play 40k has been extremely lackluster for about a year, though I'm still playing it because a buddy of mine is just getting into it. If I'm not smitten with 6th ed, I'll probably just try to pick up some AoBR marines on the dirt cheap to just have an army, and then focus my attentions (and monies) elsewhere. I'm hoping to do something this summer with Flames, BTW. Probably an escalation league to draw new people into it, but I haven't found great rules for one yet.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:23 am

Scenarios in the V3 rulebook are not number of turn limited, but end once an objective condition is met.

I've been using air support very frequently now and is extremely effective on tanks as well as artillery.

Thanks for adding the bit about smoke. I always forget to use it, but you're right as it can be a big help in getting positioned for those important flank shots.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 am

The only thing I don't like about smoke is that you have to target an enemy team, so you can't just fill an open area with smoke. All they have to do is move a few inches forward, which admittedly limits their ROF, to get around that. (Obviously dropping smoke on things like 88's will prevent them from shooting at all, but not tanks).
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Tex
Whiteshield

Postby Tex » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:53 pm

True about the smoke and tanks Kinne. However, smoke also gives you the advantage of being able to move everyone at the double. Even if the enemy unit moves, they then still only get two shots per tank at an enemy moving at the double rather than 4. Most likely, the American player will have moved up more than 1 tank platoon and the German player will have to choose between knocking out one platoon or trying to damage two. Either way, he will have to expose a flank to one of the platoons to fire at the other. If they don't move, then they don't shoot. Given the American player's options, both of those are winning scenarios for him. Also, medium mortars can lay down smoke as well. This is the best way to use mortars against tanks as they can't penetrate the armor so lay down smoke for those that can. I will begin to brainstorm ideas as to how we could run an escalation league. I can't promise I'll come up with anything good, I'll just try my best :D .
Badges?! We don't need no stinkin' Badges!

Return to “Flames of War”