Base size once again rears its ugly head. . .

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Base size once again rears its ugly head. . .

Postby Kinne » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:33 pm

So IG Heavy Weapons teams are now a single model with two wounds. Armageddon Steel Legionnaires come with a missile launcher team but no 60mm base. The rule of thumb in the past was to field it one whatever base it came with, so how does this particular situation work? Can I keep the two missile launcher crewmembers in BtB with each other, or do I have to purchase new bases?
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Re: Base size once again rears its ugly head. . .

Postby J Rzasa » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 pm

I've been struggling with this myself, as I have a lot of old Cadians that don't come with these bases. I guess it comes down to the question of if it gives you an advantage against Template weapons, and I think the argument can be made either way. My snap judgement says that you should rebase them (I can bring an extra base with me on Saturday for you).

However, I'm not 100% on this. The "use the base it came with" is definitely the correct call for bikes and miniatures of that nature, because the rounded bases don't give benefits or hindrances. Same thing with 25mm square bases.

How do other people feel about this?

~J

Xelloss
Whiteshield

Postby Xelloss » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Rebasing is the default solution, but even for a tourney I'd be fine with keeping those two miniatures in base contact counting as one model. In a pinch you could simply glue them together with a sprue/piece of terrain or even something like magnets.
Everyone is insane, its only a matter who's more obvious about it.

There are no "good guys"; everyone's a jerk, especially you.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:43 pm

How many bases do you need?
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Typhus
Recruit

Postby Typhus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Legally it's "use the base it came with". As RAI it is a team, I think 2 dudes on 25mm basing is fine if they are in base with each other, due to hit and wounding interpretations. I mean, technically its one model with 2 wounds.

I mean, I'm cool with it provided when it comes to allocating wounds that pretty much wounds are gonna flow from one 25mm base to his buddy, thereby avoiding the "wellk this guy takes a wound, but his buddy is fine so I can still shoot the HW with one 28mm model dead"

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Depending on my list, I may have enough 60mm bases for the tourney. I may just plop the two models and their bases on the larger base so I don't have to worry about regluing.

And I get that this setup is the simplest way to handle it, but I still think it a bit weird that a single multilaser blast can kill two guys.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:54 am

I'm pretty certain that they are supposed to be rebased. I remember this being an issue. When they first introduced the new heavy weapons teams, but for things like templates, remembering instant death, and assaults it does actually make a pretty big difference. If I remember correctly it was the steel legion guys that actually made gw make the transition as the two guys actually look like they fit together in some instances rather than some random guy lugging heavy ammo.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Typhus
Recruit

Postby Typhus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Kinne wrote:Depending on my list, I may have enough 60mm bases for the tourney. I may just plop the two models and their bases on the larger base so I don't have to worry about regluing.

And I get that this setup is the simplest way to handle it, but I still think it a bit weird that a single multilaser blast can kill two guys.

Eh, we're all friends and while we all want to win space money im not that worried about it being 2 mooks next to each other or 1 60mm base.

And hey , Multilaser is serious bizness.

Return to “Tournament Model Council”