The Throng of Zanzuhf Kazad (Dwarfs)

London
Whiteshield

Re: The Throng of Zanzuhf Kazad (Dwarfs)

Postby London » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:22 pm

nice work man, i dig the capes.... and the beards!
Take black the Knight. M
There are seven kinds of Darkness 7 - just like before.

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Heh, thanks. The beards are the easiest ever. Basecoat, Devlan Mud. I may do a quick wetbrush with a lighter color for highlights. . .but I might not.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Collin
Whiteshield

Postby Collin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:15 am

Keep up the good painting, trust me you are going to be happy when dwarfs are a finished project.

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:40 pm

Thanks Collin, and I truly hope so. Otherwise, I'm going to hate everyone who has ever said "You'll be happy when you're army's finished."

Anyway, an update. I added that last wash of Thrakka Green to the cloth on the hammerers, and I like the final result. So, before wash. . .

And after wash. . .

As you can see, a simple, careful wash of straight Thrakka Green really helped to tone down the jumps from each color to the next. The highlights become a LOT more subtle, and, obviously, the recesses become a lot darker. While the shadows in the folds of the cloak aren't perfect, and I could have easily rectified that with another wash, only close inspection will show an issue. At table top distance, you can't even tell.

Right now I'm working on a step-by-step for the hammerers, as I have nine left to finish before my obligation's through. So stay tuned!
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Alright, so I was going to do this when I was at work, but they decided to add Photobucket to the list of blocked sites, so that became impossible. Anyhoo, here's my step-by-step guide to painting my Hammerers.

Step One
First, I hit up all of the cloth on the model with a coat of Orkhide Shade. Normally I'd use Snot Green, but OS is only a little different, and as a foundation paint, it goes on a lot easier.

Step Two
Then, I added some highlights with Goblin Green. I didn't take a picture of the sleeves, but for this step I painted pretty much everything but the recesses on everything except for the cloak. I intentionally left some Orkhide Shade showing through for contrast.

Step Three
For a final highlight, Scorpion Green, which I used just along raised edges, and also where the bottom of the cloak flares out a little.

Step Four
Then the Thrakka Green wash. I made the mistake of leaving too much wash in the recesses and on the flat areas, as you can see the way it pooled before it dried. Other than that, it did a nice job of blending the highlights and darkening the recesses.

Step Five
Now I basecoated everything else on the model. All of the metal, whether it was going to end up bronze or not, was basecoated with Boltgun Metal. I find I have issues with Dwarf Bronze straight over black primer, so the boltgun was thrown on as a metallic undercoat. The skin is Tallarn Flesh, the hair and beard on this particular model is Macharius Solar Orange, and I based both the weapon haft and leathers with Scorched Brown. The Bronze and Boltgun areas were then highlighted with Mithril Silver.

Step Six
This was the last major step, washing everything except for the cloth with Devland Mud.

The final steps I had to do were gems (which didn't come out so well. . .they're so darn small!), horns on some of the helmets, and, of course, basing. Outside of that, the model is pretty much finished. The Mithril highlights on the metals shines through the wash nicely, just as the Scorpion Green highlights shine through on the cloth, but the wash does tone it down a bit. I'm debating whether or not to add in another step, and do a fine Mithril highlight after the wash, to make those areas really pop and add another layer of transition. And the main reason I use Devlan Mud instead of specific washes on everything except the cloaks is, well, because it's just plain easier and faster. The cloaks are very large and obvious, so spending a little extra time on them is not a big deal. However, stopping to use Devlan Mud on the metals, Ogryn Flesh on the skin, an appropriate wash on the beard and hair by its color. . .would just be a pain. Truth be told, Devlan Mud gets it done. Fast. And it looks nice.

Anyway, after a bit of basing today and some Matte Varnish, I'll be done with my block of 22 Hammerers. Then, it's on to war machines!

Oh, and if you want to see full-sized pictures of these steps, check it.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Looking forward to playing against them Kinne. And thank you very much for posting the detailed pictures of the backs of the models, since I will get to spend a great deal of time looking at them as you panic and run from my army.

In all seriousness though, the cloaks look like they came out very well, and are nicely shaded. I look forward to seeing them as a unit.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Eric says Ha!
Whiteshield

Postby Eric says Ha! » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:52 am

The scorpion green stage is very well done.

Return to “A Tale of 4 Gamers- Fantasy”