Something needs to be done

nate the tank
Whiteshield

Something needs to be done

Postby nate the tank » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Ok this may just be me after a fun day at work but tonight's club night I noticed a couple of things. One pretty much a full house which is great yea I like small groups more but hey the club is doing good and maybe spending money. And the. The d and d group comes in. I know this has been brought up before but tonight was something else. I noticed they where pissed that they had no place to play. No one had places to play I my self had to wait to get just a folding table to play a game. Which is fine it's a CLUB night. But then I see normal club members being asked to move or just leaving In general cause of d and d players that's bullshit. If it wasn't for my quests I would have done the same tonight. This is becoming a real problem. When paying club and loyal Customers are leaving on thier night. I think that's when something should be done or said. I don't walk in and ask whoever is working to ask people to make room for my game or whatever. Cause we know what nights are busy and what not. Once again I know I'm not the only one who feels this way so speak up please and maybe we can get some things done. Or there is always taking matters into our own hands and just take up all the tables.
40k Space marines (forever growing)
Warmachine Khador
Hordes trollbloods
Flames of war germans

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Re: Something needs to be done

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:42 am

I certainly agree with where you are coming from, and have heard this from other members on Wednesday nights, but it really is not something that we as the club have control over. The store has told them, that they can play on Wednesday nights so there is little that can be done about it. Guaranteeing 2 tables is a considerable amount of space, but again not really in our control.

As a group, members may need to be mindful of how much space they are taking up with their belongings and be mindful of how much they are bringing in at a given time.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:33 pm

I agree as well. I feel like I can't really move around them, so even though I want to buy Malifaux stuff or whatever if they are near what I want to look at I just don't bother. Anyone that knows my impulse habits knows that isn't good :)

Can they be asked to come on a different night?
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

nate the tank
Whiteshield

Postby nate the tank » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:02 pm

They are there a couple nights a week each day is a different group.
Warmachine Khador
Hordes trollbloods
Flames of war germans

G-Bread
Whiteshield

Postby G-Bread » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:31 pm

As annoying as it is, it has to be the store that realizes the impact that it is having on the other patrons and they have to decide what best overall. I would hate for people to stop showing on Wednesdays just for this reason. Well all go there for fun and to see our friends. I don't want to deny that from anyone so hopefully an agreement can be made that makes both sides happy.

If not I can continue to play blood bowl at full volume!

Toady 2 Ferguson 0
You have been Governated!

netgeist
Veteran

Postby netgeist » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 pm

It's a tough balance for the store to strike, that's for sure. They are also regulars that spend money at the store and the place benefits if it has some RPGs running. I totally get giving them space.

That said, I've had problems as well. Not on Wednesdays...but on other days. I've gone in to shop and been unable to get to product. I was specifically looking for something for Age of Sigmar recently and they had a map covering all of the product. I couldn't get to what I wanted, so i intended to ask them to move the map (though, in reality, they should have done so when they noticed me trying to get behind it). Since they were all talking and seemed to be in an exciting part of the game, I chose not to interrupt them. Since i couldn't tell whether the store had what i was looking for, I wasn't willing to make another trip for it later and bought it online.

nate the tank
Whiteshield

Postby nate the tank » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:46 pm

So candy and drinks counts as buying stuff. We have to make room for magic players on there nights and we don't say anything about it.
Warmachine Khador
Hordes trollbloods
Flames of war germans

Kowal
Veteran

Postby Kowal » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Magic is the only reason independent game shops can afford to operate.

That said, covering up product with maps is precisely the sort of reason that should get someone to come down on you.

Look on the bright side - RPG folks aren't those d-bags who're constantly rolling dice in their deck boxes. Whoever came up with that idea should be fired out of a catapult in to the sun.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Build the Wall, Nate! 2016!!!
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Sergio
Whiteshield

Postby Sergio » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:35 pm

Was talking to Sean about this last night since I had to first move my stuff then move my self to accommodate the D&D players and supposedly he was going to talk to them at closing to tell them about the store for the most part goes by a first come first serve policy especially when things starting getting crowded with some priority to events that have been planned ahead of time like regular events or things like tournaments. When space becomes scarce people as a whole need to just deal with cramp surroundings.

I know my RP group on Mondays is 6 people and it be nice to have 2 tables but we are able to confine ourselves to a single table even when its a slow night because we never know when more people will come.

But as others mentioned as patrons of the store we need to be mindful of how much space we take up as well a possibly have a meeting with store management on voicing people's concerns as well as trying to work together on ways to be more efficient with the space we have without cutting into the stores retail space. Simplest thing for starters is some reminders that this store gaming space is a shared space and be mindful amount of space you use.

Terrain day would actually be a good day to air this out in the open since their should be a lot of people there. Sean mentioned how much space terrain storage takes up. Finding a better way to consolidate and store terrain so people can actually put there cases and other stuff they bring with them at the gaming tables versus having it all on the reg tables would be a huge help.
Victory needs no excuse, failure allows for none.

Return to “General Discussion”