The End Times

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Re: The End Times

Postby Slimnoid » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:45 am

From Warseer:

Nagash offers Mannfred to the elves as a sing of good will, snaring him in a prison made of death magic.

Be’lakor frees Mannfred and tells him the truth about Lileath. He is later found by Jerrod (Be’lakor’s plan all the time) and tells him the truth about Lileath. Jerrod lets Mannfred live, who then flees and calls her. She admits the truth, saying that she is the Lady of the Lake, and also that she pushed Bretonnia out of the Stone Age and saved them from the greenskins and themselves. She says that she won’t ask for forgiveness, because the sacrifice of Bretonnia was needed to create the Haven. Then Be’lakor appears when Jerrod is about to kill her. They both fight and the demon defeats Jerrod (but does not kill him), and turns to kill Lileath, but Malekith and Tyrion pop out and trap Be’lakor.

Jerrod returns to his people and tells them about the Lady. They decide not to fight alongside the treacherous elves, returning to Bretonnia. No more is known of them.

After the fall of Averheim, the Incarnates face the daemonic host. The battle is hopeless, so Lileath sacrifices willingly to Teclis in order to give him the needed power to move them to Middenheim. A titanic battle takes place there, and the incarnates travel to the caverns located beneath the city, where Archaon, the Swords of Chaos, and the 4 greater daemons with their respective hosts are waiting. Grimgor fights Arachaon and almost defeats him, but Archaon manages to kill the orc. Then Archaon faces Sigmar, the Emperor, who after a long battle defeats him, throwing him inside a rift created by the Old Ones’ artifact that the chaos guys activated to destroy the world. The surviving Incarnates, aided by Teclis (who now holds the winds of Fire and Beasts), try to close the rift. They could have succeeded, but Mannfred betrays his master (Nagash) killing Gelt. Teclis tries to absorb the wind of Metal, but fails and dies, so the rift feeds on them and sucks out all the Incarnate’s powers. Archaon appears again, climbing out of the rift, and faces SIgmar one more time. They both are last seen fighting against each other, with Ghal-Maraz being held by Archaon as Sigmar tried to smash him. Meanwhile, Malekith saves Alarielle from being crushed by debris, and then she and Tyrion turn their backs and walk away while the Eternity King dies in pain, with his legs crushed. They both look back at the growing rift while the darkness swallows them.

Game Over.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:18 am

Calling it - the orb is Terra, the thing that was once a man is Karl Franz/Sigmar who becomes the God Emperor.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Actually, the more I think about this, the more pissed off I get. It smacks of laziness for two reasons. One, Nagash sets all of this incredible stuff in motion: Ogres are migrating en masse, Lizards are leaving Lustria, dead rise everywhere. The next two books (Glottkin and Khaine) further that idea. Everyone and everything is converging into the Old World itself, and there's going to be a serious slobberknocker. I fully expected everything to be different after the fact (basically shattered remnants of all sides scratching out a living here and there), but to just nuke the entire thing? It's like they couldn't come up with a better ending.

And the second reason I feel this is bullshit is that they've been dragging out the Horus Heresy, which has a predetermined ending, for ten fucking years, and yet the end of the entire Old World gets six months? Ridiculous. Not to mention that every named character (for the most part) is dead, so all those fancy models you've been buying over the years are wasted. I fully expected alot of the new kits they released to be short lived, but now everyone is gone. And a giant middle finger to you if you've been playing this game for years and now your army's fluff is erased.

Lastly, why no special treatment for the rest of the armies? Undead, Elves, Skaven and Chaos all get the spotlight, but not so for Ogres, Lizards, Dwarfs or Greenskins. You could argue that the human armies didn't get a spotlight either, and served more as a punching bag the entire time.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Laziness is pretty much pure GW and you really shouldn't be surprised that they'd do this. Shooting themselves in the foot before they even take a step is pretty par for the course.

There's gonna be a lot of people selling their stuff in the coming weeks, that's for damn sure.

DZA The Distraction
Whiteshield

Postby DZA The Distraction » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:29 pm

I've read through most of these posts and I'm at the point where I'm asking myself....what the hell is going to happen with my orcs and my models? Is it even worth trying to piece are army together with what I have or am I going to be forced into buying new stuff in order to stay relevant......da crap GDubs
- Miles -

Warhammer- Orcs and Goblins
40K- Salamanders
Warmachine- Khador

Kinne

Postby Kinne » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:47 pm

Well, I don't think they're going to nuke entire armies. Special characters are out, it seems, so bye bye to that Grimgor model. . .and Skarsnik. . .and Azhag. . .and you get the idea. I'm just wondering how they're going to write themselves out of this mess. I see it as damn hard to not completely Gav Thorpe-ing what they've written for End Times while still not alienating all of the people by making their armies worthless.

DZA The Distraction
Whiteshield

Postby DZA The Distraction » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:39 am

Fair enough. Like you said, it's like they are writing themselves into a corner and are going to piss people off regardless. I really appreciate you typing up all of these overviews on all of the books. The Archaon book is the last one, correct me if I'm wrong.
- Miles -

Warhammer- Orcs and Goblins
40K- Salamanders
Warmachine- Khador

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:54 am

I've heard rumors of there being one more where the good side starts to do something, but I'm not sure if that would be true at this point.

Also, while there is a great deal of doom and gloom going on, this is also the most excited I have ever seen the fantasy community in over a decade, so that is good. I would truly love to see GW knock 9th edition it of the park and make an awesome game.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:49 am

I dunno if I'd call it 'excited,' unless it's used in the context of 'hitting a bee hive makes the bees excited.'

There's a lot of people pissed off that GW nuked 30-odd years of story in about 6 months, and with rumors flying around about them consolidating armies, there's plenty who think their armies might be invalidated. If not in fluff, then in army composition. Hell, we don't even know if the big plastic kits that came out will even have rules when 9th rolls around.

People's sense of doom and gloom seems justified, primarily due to the lack of communication from the company itself. Granted, I'm pretty sure it'll be foolish in retrospect, but right now there's people who are hate-selling entire armies for cheap and flooding the second-hand market with stuff. That's not a great sign.

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:19 pm

I've been told by my GW rep that while all lists and rules in the End Times books will be invalidated by 9th edition codexes and 9th edition itself (respectively), all models released during the End Times will be incorporated into the next slate of Codexes.

She was very vague how soon the End Times lists would be invalidated, so it is very possible that 9th edition will be a big enough change that there will be a "Ravening Hordes" style booklet that redefines all the lists, or there may be a "Black List" style army section in the back of the main rule book. Or the main books set could include a book in the slipcase that has all the lists in it. Everything here is my speculation though based on how vague she was.

~J

Return to “Warhammer”