Age of Sigmar Rumors

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Age of Sigmar Rumors

Postby J Rzasa » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:09 pm

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2015/06/age- ... umors.html

I wanted to post these to see if we could get a discussion going. I have a feeling these are more legit than not. Nothing seems completely out there, and is consistent with what GW is telling me.

I'm actually kinda excited about this. I like the way the new fluff sounds, I like the way everything sounds like it is coming together. Could be a lot of fun.

~J

Ankaru
Veteran

Re: Age of Sigmar Rumors

Postby Ankaru » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:28 pm

This sounds interesting. Might be able to use my daemons if all the races are still in it. I highly doubt the dark gods would not interfere in the new setting.
Fantasy is cool. Sci-fi is cool too. But when you combine them, they become even cooler.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 pm

Those are some very interesting rumors. So completely different than what Warhammer has ever been. There are some points that really strike me as odd. 1 the formation of alliances, which is something 40K has done so I'm not surprised about it. I like the concept of pairing down armies, but just allowing any forces to ally or use other units is a pretty huge break from current fantasy. It feels more like the old days of Dogs of War. 2. The change in technology (removal of black powder) seems really strange and its inclusion in fantasy has always felt like a very important characteristic of some armies. It's removal just does not seem necessary. 3. Winning favor of gods/gaining more abilities like the chaos book seems cumbersome if every champion and above on the board has the ability to gain those rewards. It just seems like adding more random things into the game for no apparent reason.

Whatever happens, I am excited to see what they end up doing with fantasy, and I hope it is a fun enjoyable game.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:02 pm

I would love if this is what came to be, it sounds fun.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:00 pm

I actually really like the lack of Gun powder. It looks like Dwarves and Skaven will still have it, and some human Merc units. But for the most part they are going to go back to more Medieval siege weapons, which will be an amazing change. I'd rather stare across the table at catapults, balista, and Trebuchets. Just aesthetically.

I also like that they are going more Dark Age or Iron Age in style. Instead of late Renaissance, when Armor was mostly stylized because it couldn't really stop bullets, you're going to see lots of chain mail, lots of scale, and lots of furs. Barbarian human armies will look amazing. I always felt that this was something that was missing. The Chaos Marauders were never really enough.

We don't have real details on system yet. After playing more and more games that are very basic in system but very complex in game play, I'm really hoping this ends up being a game we don't have to refer to the book often for.

I share you concern on the Gods system, and the champion advancing. It sounds more like a resource management though, like Blood Tithe points for the Khorne Daemonkin codex. Do something cool, get a point. Kill something with a hero, get a point. Want the hero to make extra attacks, reroll something, or heal a wound? Spend X points. Want to change that Herald of Khorne into a Daemon Prince, bam! Think your great Elfin lord should summon his awesome dragon mount Emberbum? Spend 10 points and now you have an Elf on a dragon. Now, if this is roll on table, get flailing tentacle, then yes this is going to be a disaster.

I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that there won't really be armies, just "Good factions" and "Bad Factions". It's neat that I'll be able to add Human Barbarians to an Orc list, or mix Elves, Dwarves, and Human Knights. It's great for people who just want to collect cool models and aren't looking for a theme. At the same time, I imagine it'll be a very common thing for people to buy models in the same theme, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, different human tribes. It also makes it easier to collect other ranges, as you can slowly add to what you have, use what you are working on with what you have, and then slowly build from there.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I want to see a lot more.

~J

Kowal
Veteran

Postby Kowal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Inquisitor Wall wrote: It just seems like adding more random things into the game for no apparent reason.

This is the most clear and concise way to describe exactly why I'm skeptical of GW's ability to make something worth playing. This was already a common problem in the previous edition.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Isn't Might a stat in LotR/Hobbit? Fate Points let you do stuff/reroll? Starting to make sense, because you can play as godlike heroes or on swarms.

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:44 am

So....anyone hear any more rumors? Any insight from our resident LGS owners?

ADB

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:09 am

This is what I learned today from GW:

- Games Workshop Trade Sales will be closed on Thursday and Friday so they can be trained on Age of Sigmar. They will answer questions on Monday. I'm not sure yet how much I'll be able to discuss right away.

- Age of Sigmar is a completely new game. I asked her if it was a continuation of 8th or if it was something completely new, and she said it is not a continuation of 8th. It is a completely new game and system that begins following the conclusion of the last End Times book. It sounds like the system is going to be new as well, but she didn't know if there would be any similarities to 8th edition or previous editions of Warhammer.

- Any model that is currently on the GW Website will have rules in Age of Sigmar. I asked her specifically about the rumor that BOLS has posted about Empire and Chaos kits being replaced, and she said she believes that is complete bunk. However, we should know a lot more about that on Monday, if anything changes.

- There may be Pre-release and Release events. I'll have more info on that Monday.

Stay tuned, I'm guessing we'll see more concrete stuff on Thursday and Friday.

~J

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:43 pm

BOLS has a rumor up with the box contents. It looks like a pretty standard fantasy box set chaos khorne vs empire. The big thing that would seem like a conflict with current rumors is that it has 10 empire hand gunners.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Return to “Warhammer”