AoS and models...

Bjorn
Whiteshield

AoS and models...

Postby Bjorn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:18 am

wow, so this is why GW had to reboot... nobody's posted on here in a year, and then only a few in the last two.

but Age of Sigmar looks... interesting.

in particular, their warscrolls look interesting.

i've looked through the WHF armies i have, and if the club chose to play old rules, or revert to earlier rules (in order to escape the mess that 8th became), i'd love to un-mothball them.

barring that, i have a ton of Ogres in various states that really need to leave my house. if anyone is interested, large or small, give me a holler.
WHFB:
6th -- Ogres (2-2-0)
7th -- Beasts of Nurgle (28-1-2), Beastmen (12-2-3)
8th -- Beastmen (5-4-3)

WH40k
3rd -- Dark Eldar (4-6-1), Black Templars (2-0-0)
4th -- Dark Eldar (15-4-1), Black Templars (4-2-1), Word Bearers (26-2-1), Thousand Sons (0-1-1), Deathwing (28-1-2), Vostroyan 131st Armored Company (6-1-0)
5th -- Deathwing (10-2-0), Armored Company (3-1-0)
6th -- Dark Angels 1st and 4th (17-3-1)

Malifaux
Sadhu Marcus (2-2-0)

Corwin
Veteran

Re: AoS and models...

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:40 pm

Me and Adam are going to be trying 6th again.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. If that doesn't work, riddle them with bullets.

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Ah 6th. . .where Fear could really mess you up and a rank was only four models. Plus Beastmen were a viable army and Chaos a unified force. Fun times.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:40 pm

There's also Kings of War by Mantic, the game of massed fantasy battle, whose next edition is coming out this Friday for free on their website.

They are specifically making lists for Fantasy refugees, and they have no qualms about you using other company's model range.

Kinne wrote:Ah 6th. . .where Fear could really mess you up and a rank was only four models. Plus Beastmen were a viable army and Chaos a unified force. Fun times.

I really think that you could use 7th edition base rules, using 6th edition army books, with a couple borrowed elements from 8th (Step Up and pre-measuring, namely) and have a pretty solid version of Warhammer on your hands.
Bring me your finest coffee!

Kowal
Veteran

Postby Kowal » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:40 pm

Warhammer was a LOT better before pre-measuring was a thing. More player choice, less randomness, and for those of you who value fun over balance and like randomness - guess range weapons.

Really, you haven't lived until you've beaned someone's general in the groin with a boulder from a trebuchet. Or, another dream I've lived - having your Necromancer KO'd by a mortar. On turn one. With the crumbling army rules. Ouch.
This just goes to show: No matter how stupid and useless a weapon may look to you, some guy in Asia with too much time on his hands has figured out how to use it to kill five ninjas.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Kowal wrote:Warhammer was a LOT better before pre-measuring was a thing. More player choice, less randomness, and for those of you who value fun over balance and like randomness - guess range weapons.

Plenty of games use pre-measuring without random movement being a factor, and honestly it just removes the tedium of guesswork and stops people from doing the "Forearm Measuring" nonsense. I'd adopt only the pre-measuring aspect, not the random charge range crap.

Guess range weapons ARE a lot of fun, though, I'll give you that.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Back to the good old days when terrain and troop positioning actually mattered.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:07 pm

No, I think the game was much better before pre-measuring. Warmachines were really good, like Cannons and stone throwers, but at the same time they required actual skill to use. Guessing is an art, it's not random. Sure, some people cheat it with the forearm measuring, but some people are just that good. On the other end, bad guessing leads to your giants living longer.

Step-up is also a problem, but fighting in an additional rank makes a ton of sense.

~J

Corwin
Veteran

Postby Corwin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Also on the plus side I have alot of 6th books, sure you lose some of the new toys but I'm ok with that. I completely missed 7th so I have no idea what that one was like.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. If that doesn't work, riddle them with bullets.

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:39 pm

J Rzasa wrote:No, I think the game was much better before pre-measuring. Warmachines were really good, like Cannons and stone throwers, but at the same time they required actual skill to use. Guessing is an art, it's not random. Sure, some people cheat it with the forearm measuring, but some people are just that good. On the other end, bad guessing leads to your giants living longer.

Step-up is also a problem, but fighting in an additional rank makes a ton of sense.

"Guessing as a skill" also makes it a big barrier of entry for people who are bad at it. That doesn't really even the playing field for people new to the game or who are terrible at guessing ranges.

Step-up in 6th might be a problem, possibly, I dunno. The points ranges for those army books made blocks bigger than 20 kind of expensive, even for skaven. Maybe the lack of steadfast and fear having a bigger impact will be a balancing factor?

But then again, fighting in additional ranks would mean that even if you kill the front rank, the one behind it could then attack anyway. Hm. You might have a point there.

Corwin wrote:Also on the plus side I have alot of 6th books, sure you lose some of the new toys but I'm ok with that. I completely missed 7th so I have no idea what that one was like.

7th was basically a tighter 6th edition. The main problem in that edition was the army books, namely Daemons (who broke the game over their knee) and to a lesser extent, Dark Elves. However, since there was no sweeping changes to the basic system like in 8th, you can run the 6th ed. army books with it no problem.

Return to “Warhammer”