Airbrushing

Slimnoid
Hardened Vet

Re: Airbrushing

Postby Slimnoid » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:57 pm

Dez wrote:I've been airbrushing quite a bit lately, got a Badger Sotar.

The smaller the nozzle size, the smaller the line size. So a .5 is good for base coating, a .2 is good for details.

Do note that a Sotar is a bit of a finicky beast; it will get you some ridiculously fine lines, but it can clog up easily if your paint isn't thinned properly. I would not use it as a regular workhorse airbrush, but definitely for finer work. You can find it on Amazon and sometimes is on sale for $80 or so.

If you want a workhorse airbrush that will take a beating and keep on ticking, get the Badger Patriot 105. It's been described as the AK-47 of airbrushes, and is absolutely perfect for priming, basecoating, zenithal color, batch painting, and varnishes, and will get you some decent detail if you drop the PSI down and thin paint properly. Not Sotar-level detail, but for everyday work, you can't beat the Patriot. For a high-end brush it doesn't really break the bank either; it regularly goes for about $100 on Amazon.

Keep in mind that the fittings for both airbrushes might not fit your hose; they use different sizes compared to most hoses, which are usually 1/8". I'm unsure of the actual size Badger uses, but there's conversion fittings to let you hook them up to a 1/8" hose. Personally I prefer using quick-disconnect fittings, which if you get more than one airbrush is vital, and makes for any emergency cleaning much easier (detach, take to sink, done).
Bring me your finest coffee!

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:34 am

I believe they sell the Patriot at Michaels too, so get your 50% off coupons :)

Just finished a Dreadball pitch. Waiting for the blood to dry, I'll post pics tomorrow.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

DrFunkin
Recruit

Postby DrFunkin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:34 am

Even with 50% off, its still cheaper to nab the Patriot 105 on Amazon, where its fairly often on sale for about 75 bucks.

Return to “Painting and Converting”