Trying to make an effective list

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Trying to make an effective list

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:22 am

Ive been messing around with army builder trying to find a list that would be somewhat competitive for Tyranids. It seems like Zoanthropes are a must for killing tanks, but beyond that everything in the army that is effective seems over priced.

Ive never seen swarms be effective, especially to dieing from fearless saves, so for troops you have warriors, and genestealers. Genestealers seem pretty good, but will die to shooting which means you have to hold them in reserves and outflank with them. Not a bad idea. Warriors seem really good, with 3 wounds now and a 4+ save. So I was thinking 2 units of 5 with bone swords whips, and devourers.

Fast, again the only unit that really looks effective are Raveners, so I was looking at 2 units of 5 with with spine fists and 2x talons.

Heavy Ive never seen carnifaxes do much because of low weapon skill and initiative, so I was planning on 2 trygons. (Im not exactly sure on how their tunneling works, but can units that come up through them assault on the turn they come out?)

Basically everything but the zoanthropes would stay in reserves and come out later in the game. Zoanthropes get 1-2 turns of killing tanks before they die, and everything starts coming out of reserves. My biggest issue is that in 1750 Im looking at 28 models which is fewer than if I played deathwing, and the models dont seem as effective as terminators.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Re: Trying to make an effective list

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Kev, the List I was messing with in my head look as follows:

Hive Tyrant - Lash Whip + Bone Sword, Acid Blood, Toxic Miasma, Armored Shell, Old Enemy, Paroxysm, and The Horror. 265 pts.

2x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore. Mycetic Spores have Cluster Spine Upgrades. 110 pts each with Spore.

2x Genestealer Broods - 14 + Broodlord and Scything Talons. 286 pts per squad.

2x Units of Hormagaunts - 24 models each, 144 pts each

5 Ravenors - Rending Claws, Devourer - 200 pts

1 Trygon.

This list hopefully has a lot of flexibility. You can start the entire thing off the table. If you think you're going to do this often, you change "Old Enemy" to Hive Commander to give the +1 to Reserve rolls.

Drop the Zoanthropes behind, close enough to tanks. If they start on the board, they are the first thing to be shot at. I know its the first thing I shoot at. The Spores will take additional wounds away due to shooting because it can spit out a S5 Ordnance Template. Good against horde armies.

You swarm the Hormagaunts around the Tyrant to give it cover, if you have to. This gives the Hormagaunts Perfered enemy, and the enemy a choice between the swarm and the Tyrant. If they put all their shots into the Tyrant, he as a 2+/4+. If they put it into the swarm, they have to deal with the Tyrant. The Hormagaunts have 3 attacks on the assault, are I 5. If you can free up some points, you could give them poison, and make them ridiculous.

The Genestealers can infiltrate, or Outflank. That really ruins some people's days, and the Brood Lord is ridiculous in combat.

I'm on the fence about Ravenors. This may be the area I'd think about something else. But I love the plastic models, so I'd probably field them. But that 200 pts could go to more Gaunts, Gaunt Upgrades, more Genestealers, etc.

The Trygon is a toss up. I love the model, it'd definitely be included. However, unlike the Carnefex, this thing may have issues smashing LR's. Other than that, it really is superior to a Mawloc, being Ws5 with 6 attacks. You can start it off the board and pop it in later, bringing the ravenors with it, or you can start it on the table, behind terrain, force your opponent to deploy for it, then first turn suck it into reserves.

But again, since I never used this list, or anything close to it, I'm not sure. I'd like to get in some Tyrant Guard too. The poor Hive Tyrant really needs some guards.

~J

Abhorsen
Veteran

Postby Abhorsen » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:16 pm

i still think tervigons are some of the best troops choices in the game. i would try and include one or two in your list kev. i think the warriors look good on paper but they in my mind have to many weaknesses on the table, and i have never seen them perform well enough to be worth their points. i feel bad for tyranids in this addition they are a very solid foot list but in 5th mech really is king and they are one of the few books that does not have transports and the ones they do have got totally boned in the FAQ. they are still quite nasty tho for sure.

Dez
Storm Trooper

Postby Dez » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:22 pm

I'll second the Tervignons, I love it. They can soak up a ridiculous amount of firepower starting off on the board. They can also make lots and lots of babies, which gives cover to Mama and Mama gives her babies the buffs(she can even place the buff on other units). FNP on Genestealers? Oh hell yeah!

The Broodlord is an essential upgrade. That is all.

I have a Mawloc, and I find it to be fun. People get scared when it pops out of the ground. I think the fear factor alone is worth the points, whether you go Mawloc or Trygon.

I'm not scared of Warriors. I'm scared of Hive Tyrants.

With all the above on the board, people usually forget about the Hormagaunts running up the board 3d6. Until their faces are melted off.

I've only played at 1000, but I think if you have a plan Nids are great. I don't think I lost a game with them (that I can recall). I recently unearthed them from the basement, and was thinking about adding to them again. I'd really like GW to come out with a Tervignon kit, though.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:33 pm

The real reason I didn't include a Tervigon in the above list is that there is no model for it. There is a lot of debate about what base size it is. I know Jeff Sweeney said that he thinks it is definitely the oval base the Trygon is on, but I have heard others say that they think it is based on a Carnifex. I think the Tyrranofex is the same for me, I kinda envision is being as large as the new spider model, with this giant organic Railgun looking thing on its back.

But a Terivgon is a good troop choice. If nothing else, it spits out little troop choices to take objectives, and it is hard to kill, hard to move off an objective at the end of the game when you have little left, and it soaks a lot of shots.

~J

Abhorsen
Veteran

Postby Abhorsen » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:41 pm

i dont really see that as a problem tho, just as long as u use a carnifex as a base for the conversion u should easily be under the scratch build limit for when they release a model. the base is no biggy either if u are worried just go with the oval base to be safe, i thought u can always go with bigger bases, u just cant go with smaller bases.

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:49 pm

J Rzasa wrote:The real reason I didn't include a Tervigon in the above list is that there is no model for it.
~J

That's what the new giant spider would be for. I forgot that you dont have to move the tervigon into the troop slot if you dont want to.

I am underwhelmed by the hive tyrant because they are slow and always tend to get shot to hell. Maybe Ill move out the warriors for more genestealers and 2 tervigons.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Return to “Tyranids”